Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Vray For Maya: Nederhorst Settings

This video gets you up-and-running with some production-proven render settings originally outlined by Robert Nederhorst. Thanks to him, and the Chaos Group team, we have some really useful and simple ways to render complex scenes. It may look a bit tricky at first to set it up, but by all means, save it a preset. I use a preset and apply it at the start of my scene, then set the vray common attribs afterward. You can also text edit the preset, and comment out all the bits that modify the common tab.

6 comments:

dub73 said...

thanks for sharing! well done

dub73 said...

can it be that the Nederhorst settings are rendering extremely slow? I follow exactly your description.

Andrew said...

@dub: Yes, they can be slow. The reason for this is that they are based on the Universal settings on the vray help pages. These settings can be slower than a scene that is highly tuned for a "shortcut" method. The thing is, the nederhorst settings require nearly no man-hours to set up. You could spend days tuning a scene for efficiency by using other methods like irradCaching, or photons. But these are have inherent artifacts that must be "tuned" out. This takes valuable time that you could use making your scene better. So we sacrifice some render time, for ease of use, and quick setup.

dub73 said...

Ok I see, the scene in my example was pretty easy. I took the shaderball scene from vraymaterials.de and rebuilt it in Maya 2011. So basically it is a super simple scene I would say. Mainly I do car interiors and I was wondering how to render a 7k image or bigger with the universal settings. Probably I have to do a bit more research on that :) I am also a Mental Ray user and I like Vray material very much so far. The glossy reflections are super cool in comparison with Mental Ray.

Panupat C said...

Hi Adrew. I hope it's not too late to ask here :)

I noticed that, in adaptive subdivision, the min value is default to minus 1 (-1) What does that mean? And can I do the same with adaptive DMC?

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Andrew, the value -1 mean that you get faster render - that's mean the quallity will be under the default value.